- Renault has formally launched the new version of the Zoe, the model is to be known as the Z.E 50. Details on pricing etc are still to be announced, but its expected to be broadly in line with the current model.
- Key details from a battery perspective are a larger battery (up from 41kWh to 52kWh) & the addition of a faster charging capacity, using the CSS plug – but only up to 50kw.
- In addition the electric motor (developed in house) has its power increased to 100kW output.
Analysis and Comments
- With all of the publicity around the Tesla model 3, its good to be reminded that the Zoe remains the best selling EV in many of the key European markets.
- By the end of May, the Zoe had sold c.150,000 cumulative units out of a total Renault cumulative sales figure of c. 200,000 (since 2011). The Zoe is (ytd) the top selling EV in Germany (12% EV market share) & France (30% EV market share)
- Finally, I must (as its topical for investors) finish with the latest update on European sales of the Tesla Model 3. The latest data is from Germany (May sales), where they only sold 317 units in the month, putting them around 7th. Remember, the market is expecting another Model 3 surge in June. Putting sales in context they have sold 4016 units ytd, putting them second with c. 10% market share in this important market, behind (yes) – the Zoe.